Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Murder in New Orleans

I read over at YRHT that a liberal mayoral candidate wants to ban assault rifles. The Oyster supports the idea and when I asked him in comments why anyone would want to ban assault rifles, he replied "Other than being used to kill people on a near-daily basis, I think they've been rather trouble-free."

I don't think Oyster knows what he is talking about. I don't think the Oyster knows what is involved in defining an assault rifle. I don't think the Oyster knows that true assault rifles were banned in the United States in 1934, and that the look-alike ban that was enacted under Clinton had nothing to do with assault rifles.

The liberals just want to ban something. Anything, it doesn't matter. No matter that murder is already against the law. No matter that it is already against the law to fire a gun in a city, no matter that using a firearm illegaly will get you locked up. It isn't about the criminality, it is about the hardware.

The guy's platform says that he wants to ban pit bulldogs. Aw, Jeez. Same logic here as before. He doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. I guess he wants to ban American Pit Bulldogs, like Petey, here.



Or maybe, just any bulldog will do, like Willie, shown here:



Or maybe they'll want to ban rottweillers or Catahoula Curs or any other kind of look alike dogs. Lets just ban something.

Typically liberal. I thought they were the party of freedom. I guess not.

3 comments:

oyster said...

Please retract your incorrect statement that I "support the idea" of banning assault rifles, unless you have evidence to the contrary.

Pawpaw said...

Done! In a separate post, above. Again, my apologies.

Anonymous said...

Paw-Paw, I'm usually right with you on this kind of thing, but I have to say that banning or restricting pit bulls may not be a bad idea.

Yeah, yeah, I hear so many people jumping up and saying what sweet good-natured dogs they are every time another one mauls a five-year-old.

But if they're just as safe as any other dog, why don't we keep hearing about maulings by collies and yellow labradors?

I'm generally very conservative, but the complaint against pit bulls as a breed has teeth (ahem).